10 Issues To Consider Before Enrolling In Addiction Drug Rehab
The most important decision you have to make after admitting you have an addiction problem is choosing a drug rehab program for treatment. Study after study has shown that professional rehabilitation is the safest and most reliable way to recover from alcohol or drug addiction.
Ignoring your addiction will only continue to harm yourself and your loved ones. While it may be difficult acknowledging an addiction, seeking treatment for your own sake and for your loved ones is the number one priority.
What Is Drug Rehab?
While dealing with any addiction is difficult and time-consuming for everyone involved, you can take certain steps to make the transition into rehab smoother.
These steps may include:
- Ask questions about the program: To find the best rehab program for you, consider these questions about each program you are considering: (1) How long does the program typically last? Close-ended is better than open-ended; (2) What is the counselor-patient ratio? One-to-one is ideal, but anything in the range of one counselor for five to fifteen patients assures time for one-to-one counseling and therapy; and (3) How much daily counseling time will be available? Two to five hours daily typically yields the best results.
- Determine the cost of the program: The best rehabilitation centers are private hospitals and can be expensive. Consider your financial options and how much of your treatment will be covered by medical insurance, personal savings, or assistance from family or friends.
- Consider the location of the program: Ideally, a program close to home helps keep you in touch with your supportive family and friends. At the same time, you want to consider programs that will isolate you from temptation.
- Choose the best program for your needs: Various types of rehab programs exist, ranging from those addressing specific addictions, those offering alternative treatment methods, and those focused on specific religious beliefs. If a traditional 12-step program goes against your personal beliefs, you should choose an alternative treatment program.
- Ensure the program has valid accreditation: Accreditation from the Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) is the industry standard, ensuring you will receive safe, qualified care.
- Make sure the program is properly licensed by the state: Similar to accreditation, a properly licensed program ensures you will be treated by qualified personnel operating under legal standards.
- Find out what education programs the rehab center provides: Many drug treatment centers focus on treating patients of school-age who need to complete schoolwork while in rehab. Some offer one-year college prep education programs while others have lower standards.
- Evaluate why the addiction happened: For the rehab program to be successful, you must honestly evaluate why you became addicted and if you truly want to break the cycle and recover. Rehab is not another pill you can take to cure your pain; rehab is about living pain and drug free. Professional health care providers can help you determine your unique answer.
- Be prepared to cooperate: Once you decide to enter a drug rehab program, you have to be willing to do whatever it takes to break the addiction and to cooperate with the professionals in the rehab program. Fighting against your own recovery is a guarantee for failure and relapse.
- Make the commitment to persevere and change: While recovery won’t be easy, you should approach the rehab program with a positive attitude and a determined willingness to complete the program, as well as commit yourself to changing the behavior that initiated the addiction problem. Recovering your health may take more than one stint in rehab, so your commitment must be strong.
Find The Right Treatment Program Today.
We are here to help you through every aspect of recovery. Let us call you to learn more about our treatment options.
Help Is Available at Many Excellent Drug Rehabilitation Centers in the USA
Once you carefully consider these 10 issues, you will be more likely to have a successful treatment and eventual recovery. Finding a rehab program that is best suited to your particular needs and circumstances is very important and is a decision that should not be made in haste.
We offer no-obligation, objective advice about finding the best drug rehab center for your particular needs. Call us toll-free or send us an e-mail today.